Is "Blog" Updating Frequency Really A Ranking Factor?

Hi, forum members!

Today I am just here to ask you some questions I have confusion in which. I am seeing these days that MBT isn’t publishing any posts. So I thought their traffic would get decreased. But, when I searched about some pointed queries, I got that the blog hasn’t lost most of the positions since ages (I mean from the time you stopped posting frequently). This forced me to ponder over the issue and then I remembered that few months ago, when my traffic was 1000+ page views per day, I had left my blog to prepare for exams and after almost a month, when I checked the stats, I got the result which was totally shocking for me - my traffic was still there, I mean organic traffic.

So, I again pondered and so, went to research about this issue. I searched at many places. The shocking thing I got is- In any of the page, I didn’t get the line that, a blog or website should frequently be updated to get traffic continuously (in every sentence in this email, I am talking about organic traffic). I searched over Google Webmaster blog (and other related blogs of Google), SearchEngineLand, Moz, Backlinko and some other trusted blogs. But, I, in every place, got that “page updating frequency” is a ranking factor and not “blog updating frequency”. Listen, I understand that a blog with 1000 posts is better than 100 posts not because of its rank but because the blog with 1000 posts can get more opportunities to rank. But, if the blog with 1000 posts stopped posting, then will its traffic go down?

I’ve read that:

1. Historical Updates Page Updates: How often has the page been updated over time? Daily, weekly, every 5-years? The frequency of page updates also plays a role in freshness.
  2. Recency of Content Updates: Google Caffeine update favors recently updated content, especially for time-sensitive searches.
  3. The magnitude of Content Updates: The significance of edits and changes is also a freshness factor. Adding or removing entire sections is a more significant update than switching around the order of a few words.

These all the points also, tells that you need to update “page” but “not the blog” and about Caffeine, the blog posts we write aren’t time-sensitive (according to what I think).

Note: I admit, that posting posts frequently can increase my traffic, but I am not sure if its opposite thing is true, i.e., posting posts slowly will lead to reducement of traffic, and that’s what I want to clear.

Would like to receive what you all personally think about this. Have you ever left your blog for months? What did you observe? Didi traffic increased or decreased? What else have you to share here?

This Is Really A Great Question @Shivansh Brother !

This is what i feel -

I think that it is true that if you post more content in less time then you’ll get your traffic increased as there will be more content to rank in SERPS in less time but only when posts you’re posting are great and creative. If you’re posting crappy or non creative content , no matter how much you post then your blog traffic will surely not increase instead may get decreased due to low quality content !

Yes updating a blog post may increase traffic , but how ?

Lets take an example -

If you’ve a tech blog and you’ve written a post “Best Android Apps Ever Made !” . For example on the initial published post you added approx 50 apps and then after some time (take 1 month) you add more apps in it and the list count increase to 100+ then who will not feel that the new content is more good ? And thats why search engines will rank that post more easily then the previous one due to amount of text as well as it’s quality.

Yep i left my blog name ngtechzone for approx 20-25 days and i really saw a change in my traffic - It decreased ! But here is what i feel about it -

If you post articles which really deserves to be in top of google then they will be in future too ! Meaning that if the content you’ve written is truly good then it will continue to rank in search engines whether you post more articles after it or not but i think google has a algorithm which checks the blog’s rss for the latest dates of posts published and i think it impacts on rankings somehow !

That’s why many many bloggers infact i also say that you need to keep posting green content so that you may maintain your traffic , rankings , and most importantly your income.

So that was what i feel about . Hope you understand it :smile:

@Nitishk, I think you didn’t get my question. I have clearly said:

The text in the bold letters is my question. You are telling about its opposite. :frowning:

Read it thoroughly , i’ve explained it :smile:

Okay. Got it. What about the blogs that doesn’t have RSS Feed?

First of all i am not sure that google does it , secondly if blog doesn’t have rss feed then google checks for blog’s sitemap !

And if a blog don’t even have sitemap then google will index the posts very lately :smile:

Not got any satisfying answer. :frowning:

But @Nitishk I would like to say:

You know, the posts we (bloggers) publish in our blogs are evergreen posts. For example, “How to add a related post widget in Blogger blog” is undoubtedly an evergreen post. Now, do you think Google will move its ranking down if the blog (remember, not “Page”) stops posting? That post still can help thousands. Why would Google do it?

That’s what i’ve clearly said -

If you post articles which really deserves to be in top of google then they will be in future too ! Meaning that if the content you’ve written is truly good then it will continue to rank in search engines whether you post more articles after it or not

Any reference to this answer? I mean any experiment from where you got this info? If you have, then kindly provide me as it’ll be a big help for me. :slight_smile:

I’ve been coming to no sense from above replies.

Blogging as your niche is, it is not specific on something seriously.

As per my experience niche sites’ articles are not affected by any aging means or updating.

I had an niche site based on a amazon product and the website had merely 16 articles and out of them 12 were on first and second page of results. my keyword was low competition and survived until I had more competitors for the keyword.

I had really not updated the whole site’s any single element except new offers (discounts) for the product.

So this may come in page update not content. So eventually I didn’t loose any of my rankings. but there are some keywords of mine who are not yet updated in page or content from five six months but still rocking the SERPs.

I get no conclusion, but except my ongoing practices.

@Nafees, now it makes some sense.

I was just reading this post of BlogTyrant:

:link: Why I Don’t Post Regularly & Why You Shouldn’t Either?

In this post, Ramsay has written the facts and quotes because of which you should not post on your blog frequently and to my amazement, he hasn’t written that this could harm your blog!

Thank you @Shivansh for posting this in-depth query on the forum. I will answer your query point-wise:

1. Blog update frequency is a strong ranking factor when it comes to deciding search robot crawl trips. When you update often, your XML sitemap pings search robots through your webmaster account. As a result of which Google search robots crawl and index your site for the newly added content. The more a robot visits your sites, the quickly you rank for keywords in competition.

2. Sites which are not often updated does surely loose traffic in a long term which is logical and is based on common sense. Traffic of sites which do not publish quality content for a longer period (by longer period I meant 3-4 months, not few weeks or a month) often suffer in terms of Alexa rank and advertisements. Alexa of sites with fresh updates often stays higher, the more you update the better your Alexa gets. Alexa is one such ugly factor that sponsors still take into notice when deciding the monetary worth of a site. Please note that by Alexa rank I mean a rank less than 50K. Ranks bigger than this does not really come in competition either.

3. The reason why MBT’s traffic or your traffic is still unchanged is because the time period for which updates are freezed is not over 3-4 months, which means you still have a chance to update your blog to ensure you let robots understand that your site is well maintained and is frequently updated, if not daily then at least weekly or monthly. At MBT we try our best to publish at least 3-4 articles each month when we are too busy with other projects.

4. Traffic is solely dependent on quality updates. The more quickly you update your site with rich content, the better can you survive online. If your traffic has not been effected for over a month, it does not mean you can stop worrying about your site’s analytics. It did not effect you this month but it will effect you in a long run.

5. I keep a close watch on competitors and I have seen their traffic going worse with no updates being made for over 4 months. If you have 100K impressions today, you can not expect to have more than 50K impressions after 4-5 months with no updates being made. Such sites loose both advertisers, subscribers and robot crawl trips.

6. Your question regarding updating page but not the blog was not quite clear. When you update any page/post of your blog you are indirectly updating the blog itself because everything is linked in your RSS feeds. Any new entry added to your feeds, informs the robots about a change on your blog. What does not count as a major update is customization changes that you make to your layout and supplementary content (footer, sidebar, header)

I hope I have covered all your points dear @Shivansh. Do let me know if anything is not cleared. I really appreciate such well thought questions and love answering them. :slight_smile:

Awesome Brother ! That’s What I Thought About :smile:

Really I Thought That Google Uses Rss Feed To Check For Blog Updates And Rank Blogs On Them And I Came To Know That Google Really Does It As You Stated Above :wink:

Google can index a site with both atom, RSS or XML feed. As long as the data submitted is organized and well structured. You are welcomed dear @Nitishk :slight_smile:

But What If A Blogger Writes Too Good Posts That Are Unable To Be Beaten By Other Competitors ?

I mean that if a blogger has written posts which are too good and is coming in top serps then how will the traffic go down ? I mean it will continue to get approx same traffic as it does in past until some competitors beat the post ?

Please Explain :wink:

Their is always a room for competition. If someone else produces a better content with more backlinks then you can surely not survive the SERPs position. It is not only about a good content but also about how well is its link building and how well it is talked about in web.

And this is called a point-to-point and awesome answer. :kissing_smiling_eyes:

Thank you very much, @Mohammad brother, for this answer. All my doubts are clear now. :slight_smile:

You are most welcomed buddy. Always a pleasure helping. Such questions and answers educate all of us.

Yes! If you publish atleast one post per day, your ranking will grow in a huge percentage in two-three months. I have tested this on my blog helperbus.com I published everyday for two months and my alexa rank grown from 100K+ to 298K in two months only. But now I can’t publish everyday and my alexa rank is now 693K. This is also the reason why some popular blogs get huge traffic but their alexa rank isn’t good enough compared to the traffic.