How to fix broken blog post titles in Google Search?

Hi,

It’s my first question here in this new forum started by Mohammad Mustafa Ahmedzai brother. However, the problem is that some of my post titles are showing broken in Google Search results. Whenever i search for “site:urgentfiles.com” most of titles will get fixed some days ago but some of them are still broken.

example #1:

example #2:

Red: broken or missing post title

Indigo: complete title of most clear in permalink

Additional info:

1: I’ve re-submitted sitemap various times in GWT.

2: I’ve changed template few days ago but face same problem.

3: Currently used tags for title are:

<b:if cond='data:blog.pageType == &quot;item&quot;'> 
<title><data:blog.pageName/> - <data:blog.title/></title>
<b:else/> 
<title><data:blog.pageTitle/></title>
</b:if>

4: Previously used tags for title are:

<b:if cond='data:blog.pageType == &quot;index&quot;'>
<title><data:blog.title/></title>
<title><data:blog.pageName/> | <data:blog.title/></title>

@Mr_Raja, They will automatically get replaced after 2-3 days. :smile:

lol…I’m facing it since 3 or more months :grinning:

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 1 hour unless flagged)

There is exactly no SEO mistake that you are making! You are exactly on the right track. The problem that you are facing is not related to broken titles, Google has introduced a new algoirthm that force rewrites title tags in SERPs to make it more precise and readable.

Why is Google Rewriting your Blog Titles?

Recently google is rewriting the titles for entire web with one they think is more useful to search visitors. If you carefully look at your titles that Google rewrote, you will notice they are putting forward your major keywords so that visitors may find the most relevant results first without wasting time trying to find the best result which answers their query.

Google is also doing this to prevent titles which look alike in SERPs or are repeatedly used by webmasters. This is surely a common problem because the title chosen by you could be used by some other publisher too and so on. Thus creating ambiguity on search results page for the Query poster, in order to server users better, Google has adopted this approach which is both logical but yet at the same time annoying too!

You may be annoyed that how can a robot think better than you in choosing the most relevant tite for your blog post but it is difficult when it come stop convincing the Google team, who will take up decidions on their on for the sake of experimentation without taking webmasters in confidence. This new algorithm surely has effected web traffic too for some publishers while it is benefit others.

I personally feel that it is not wise to force rewrite titles for a blog post, a blogger knows better what title to choose and how to rank his content well and how to avoid writing generic titles. So it make no sense to simply replace the custom title with one that is auto chosen by crawlers. I am pretty sure they would stop the algorithm quite soon because there is a wave of negative feedback coming from SEOs all around who are finding this extremely unwelcoming,

Domain Name Showing Instead of Title (Urgent Help)

I’m completely disagree with your answer because if that’s a Google Algorithm problem then it would come to all of websites worldwide. I check lots of websites and they all are not facing this problem. I’m 100% sure that this is not a Google problem. It’s mine problem in template or anything else which I’m not able to find accurately.

If i go 1 month past when almost every of my post facing broken/missing titles. I make some steps to recover it and I’m successful with the help of ALLAH Almighty. here I share some proofs to describe my opinion:

If you look carefully, the image clearly shows 4 broken titles out of 5. It means the problem is internal & if it’s external problem than everyone should have face it. However, as you said that Google takes some main keywords automatically and shows it in SERPs.

For example: the last 2 posts doesn’t shows the main keywords in post title. You see it shows “IP” in last post but the whole title is “Download Free IP Hide …”. The main keywords are Download Hide IP but Google is unable to show main keywords. lets take another example: the 2nd last post only shows “Android” but the android is not the focused keyword… The complete title clearly showing in permalink. the main keywords are Download FightBack APK for Android but everything was broken…

If I’ll remain these broken titles as they showing, how can i get audience from Google because I’ve lost 2K to 3K traffic in last 2 months just the sake of it.

Why you have everything OK ??? both of us using same title tags, same platform, same sitemaps and same search engine ???

I agree to what you just said:

This is exactly what annoyed many webmasters, Google is or has already dropped this algorithm from what I have observed in last two months. It is no more manipulating the titles as you might have observed too for your latest posts which are showing the same titles as you have typed.

Check the first title for MBT, it has the word “NEXT” in it, now tell me where did this word came from?? If we have not inserted anything like that. The word NEXT is appearing in few other blogger sites but it has stopped appearing since 2015 and hopefully the algorithm idea will be dropped completely by Google.

A Quick Fix for your site - Remove Linking To Same Page

Blogger templates have some poor SEO structure. In your case the post title is linking back to itself. Which means every post that you publish links back to itself which makes no sense at all. At MBT we have removed this extra link from all Post titles. And here is what you can do too:

1. Go To Blogger > Template

2. Must backup your template

3. Search for this code

<a expr:href='data:post.link'><data:post.title/></a>

1. Replace it with this

<data:post.title/>

1. Next find this code which is close to the one you just edited

<a expr:href='data:post.url'><data:post.title/></a>

1. Replace it with this code

1. Save your template and then resubmit sitemaps and wait for a week before Google updates its cache and archives

I see the “Next” and “Previous” wordings in Google search results of MBT and some other websites too. Thus i find the problem and reach at your “Next & Previous” post widget which shows both of these words. So remove these words or add noindex & nofollow meta tags to them…

The method you mentioned above will makes me funny because after completing your task. There are no more links on post titles remained in home page… :smiley:… Now I’m unable to go for any specific post from homepage because the clickable links from titles were remove just because of your tutorial… So please revise it and share after authentication…

I see MBT have clickable links on homepage on each post so please don’t share irrelevant solutions here… :blush: So i never follow your trick because its annoying :open_mouth:

I believed you have knowledge of conditional tags that is why I did not share every detail because you sound like if you are well versed in every thing related to template editing

If you really need help then you may really be thankful to people helping you and not mocking at the answers

I will share the full steps with you just like I share with newbies as soon as I am online via desktop

I’m not a pro but Alhamd-o-Lilah I knows the basics. I’ll be thankful to the people whenever I found that my problem will be solved so wait until the complete solution of this problem. As you say that I’m mocking here in your forum answers. So please ban or delete my account immediately so you’ll never see me in future… :expressionless:

Dear @Mr_Raja these are the exact steps you need to follow:

1. Go To Template

2. Backup your template

3. Search for the following code or its similar

<b:if cond=‘data:post.title’>

<b:if cond=‘data:post.link’> <data:post.title/> <b:else/> <b:if cond=‘data:post.url’> <b:if cond=‘data:blog.url != data:post.url’> <data:post.title/> <b:else/> <data:post.title/> </b:if> <b:else/> <data:post.title/> </b:if> </b:if>

4. Replace it with the following code:

<b:if cond=‘data:post.title’> <b:if cond=‘data:blog.pageType == “index”’>

<b:if cond=‘data:post.link’> <data:post.title/> <b:else/> <b:if cond=‘data:post.url’> <data:post.title/> <b:else/> <data:post.title/> </b:if> </b:if>

5. Save your template and you will find things working fine and even if it did not then kindly mention it

I am here to help

Thanks @Mohammad: I’ll try this trick on template and mention results here soon… Thanks for your Time :alarm_clock:

Chill dude, You are getting emotional now.Just a simple tip from me. Perhaps, This is happening with you because your blog is using h3 tag for post titles and you need to replace it with h2 tag. Search for this code:

<h3 class='post-title'>
     <b:if cond='data:post.link'>
        <b:if cond='data:post.url'>
      </h3>

And replace it with this code:

<h2 class='post-title'>
     <b:if cond='data:post.link'>
        <b:if cond='data:post.url'>
      </h2>

One more good idea will be to fix your blog post titles. Just search for this code on your template:

<title><data:blog.pageTitle/></title>

And replace it with this one:

<title>< data:blog.pageTitle/>< /title>
    <title>< data:blog.pageName/> | < data:blog.title/>< /title>

Sorry for posting the reply with gaps between tags. I wasn’t able to post this reply without them so sorry.

His site is already using the H2 tags buddy and fortunately he has now implemented the codes correctly that I shared above. Thanks goodness worked for him this time :smiley:

@HusnainMz For posting code in forum. Paste your code then highlight it and then click the </> icon in the tools menu of editor. This will display HTML in its literal form

Oh, that’s great. But there is a problem with me now :S. Can u please tell me that how to post HTML tags in replies?

You can show that tags by simply writing a tag example <b:skin> and it will not appear in preview. Now, select that code and click on </> button and it will start showing fine!

thanks dude. you are doing a great job for this forum .Hats off :P… Lets make this forum the biggest ever forum so when our kids will visit it, we will be able to say to them that we were the very early members of the blogger help forum. :stuck_out_tongue:

welcome :smile:. And thanks. :smiley: and yeah we guys will make it most trust-able and biggest forum in the world. But before it, we have to compete with Google Blogger Help Forum. But ours is rich in features that’s all credits goes to @Mohammad!

And you are also doing good job in helping other by giving your time. :smile:

@Mohammad:

The missing post title problem is still there:

The question has over 10 days: The last solution has 7+ days

The both solutions doesn’t works for me. So what gonna do now ?

Note

The query you mentioned Why is Google rewriting my title tag" means that Google change title keywords upon a specific query (which user enter in Google Search), but my case is totally different. just type “site:urgentfiles.com” in Google search and navigate to next pages so you will find the problem still there.

Can you have anymore solution ?

Try to add OG Tags this might* help but give it a try mines got fixed by adding schema tags…

<meta expr:content='data:blog.pageTitle' property='og:title'/>
<meta content='blog' property='og:type'/>
<meta expr:content='data:blog.pageName' property='og:title'/>
<meta content='article' property='og:type'/>
<meta expr:content='data:blog.canonicalUrl' property='og:url'/>
<meta expr:content='data:blog.title' property='og:site_name'/>
<b:if cond='data:blog.postImageThumbnailUrl'>
<meta expr:content='data:blog.postImageThumbnailUrl' property='og:image'/>
<meta content='http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-p-IdSDFzMnU/VIc5aVbwqkI/AAAAAAAAALA/ZpTpdCDf65U/s1600/filesmag%2Blogo.png' property='og:image'/>
<b:if cond='data:blog.metaDescription != &quot;&quot;'>
<meta expr:content='data:blog.metaDescription' name='og:description'/>